VISITORS GET RARE GLIMPSE INSIDE MOFFETT MILL
During the September 17-18 Civil War Weekend, history was made as Great Road’s Moffett Mill opened its doors to visitors...the first time in over 100 years! The reaction was one of amazement, as it appeared as though the shop could start up at any time. Pieces of equipment were still in place on the tables, and the belt system and machines, while stagnant for decades, looked as if they would start up any minute.
Built in 1812, the Moffett Mill sits right on Great Road below Chase Farm Park. The busy roadway was a plus for a business such as the Mill back in those days, but with today’s traffic, it presents a real danger and since there is no sidewalk or shoulder to protect pedestrians, the Mill is not easily accessed. The solution, at least for the short term, is to shuttle visitors by bus, thereby stopping traffic long enough for everyone to make it inside safely.
The Moffett Mill provides a rare glimpse of the beginnings of American industrialization. It was a versatile job shop that made parts for ships, machines for the early textile industry, shoelaces, and wagons, carriages and sleighs for local businesses and farmers. The Mill started by the Olney family and transferred to the Moffett family during the 1800s and closed just after the beginning of the 20th century. The Mill is now owned by the Town of Lincoln and is under the stewardship of the Friends of Hearthside and Slater Mill. It is planned to open again during the 2012 season.
Our Email Newsletter
Search the site
Hearthside Pays Tribute to the 1904 World's Fair Sunday, July 13, 2014
Also of interest ...
Check back often. There's always something happening at Hearthside!